What information should I provide?
It is critical that you provide the call-taker with information that is as accurate and complete as
possible. Try to remain calm, and speak slowly and clearly. While the information you provide will vary
with the incident, there are some critical details that will be required in almost every instance.
• A brief description of the crime or incident
• Time of occurrence
• Exact location (including street and unit/apartment numbers, if applicable)
• Extent of injuries or property damage, if any...
• Description of any suspects: gender, race, height, weight, clothing, hair color/style, facial hair, scars/marks/tattoos
• Weapons used, including a description
• Description of suspect vehicle: make/model, color, tag numbers (including jurisdiction), whether there are temporary tags on the vehicle
• Direction of flight: down what street/alley; on foot, bicycle or motor vehicle
• Also, it is critical that you give the call-taker your phone number—especially if you are calling from a wireless phone—so that the police can call you back if they need additional information.